The Department of Mechanical Engineering, established in the year 2001, with a vision to carve a distinct niche for itself in the field of mechanical engineering education in India, offers a 4- year B.Tech. program in Mechanical Engineering. The department has, over the years, built and maintained a high level of intellectual capital. It has to its credit a strong team of 35 highly qualified and richly experienced faculty members, 20 out of whom are either PhDs or pursuing it from institutions of high repute. The seasoned faculty is deeply committed to train and develop students into future ready professionals competent enough to take on the challenges of the professional world as they embark on chosen careers paths.
A number of students have achieved several milestones like securing All India Rank-1in ESE – 2015 and 20 in ESE-2014, All India rank of 8, 36 and 55 in GATE-2015 and All India rank 16, 25, 51 in CSIR 2015 besides securing top ranks in university merit list. The alumni are leading successful professional lives working with top notch public and private companies like NTPC, IOCL, ONGC, SAIL, EIL, NALCO, BARC, Indian Railways, L&T, Mahindra & Mahindra, Samsung, LG, EBZ Ltd etc.
The department organizes a number of training/faculty development programs for the faculty, technical staff and students on periodical basis with a view help them refresh their skills. The various technical and cultural societies functional at the department level provide the students with the ample opportunities to explore and demonstrate the hidden talent that might be lying in subconscious state. The student members have in the recent times participated and won prizes in technical events organized by professional societies like ASME and SAE at various levels.
All the laboratories in the department are well-equipped to make possible conduction of specifically designed experiments in addition to the ones prescribed in the university syllabus. Department has high-tech equipments like Pin-on-disc wear testing machine, Surface Profilometer, TIG and MIG welding machines, CNC milling and CNC lathe trainers, among others to cater to the needs of researchers & students.
Course Duration and Fee
To be recognized as a centre of excellence for mechanical engineering education.
Program Educational Objectives
The educational objectives of the ME undergraduate program are to:
- Transform and develop students into competent professionals capable of solving technical and societal problems
- Make the students fully aware of the way the mechanical engineering discipline is currently practised and to inculcate in them a thirst for further knowledge
- Produce professionals with strong work ethics and high sensitivity to environment and sustainability issues
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one's own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program specific outcomes
The Mechanical engineering graduate will be able to:
- Conceptualize, design, make/improve physical products, processes and systems using principles of design, manufacturing and Industrial engineering.
- Design, develop and maintain various thermal engineering systems.