The Department of ECE offers B.Tech and M.Tech course in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Uttar Pradesh Technical University, UPTU (formerly known as Gautam Buddha Technical University) Lucknow. The primary objective of the department has been to impart quality education, training and research at the undergraduate, postgraduate levels in various areas of Electronics and Communication Engineering. The major areas of faculty expertise of the department include Communication Systems, Control Systems, Digital Signal Processing, Image Processing, Multimedia Security, RF and Microwaves, Antennas, Speech Signal Processing, VLSI design and Wireless communication under the aegis of the department’s R&D cell known as Bose Research Cell (BRC).
The Department is headed by Prof. (Dr.) Pradyot Kala who has a huge experience in the area of Communication Engineering. The Department has well qualified and motivated faculty. The faculty is working with great enthusiasm for teaching and research. The department has a strong faculty with 3 PhDs and 20 M.Techs. Many faculty members are pursuing PhD and some of them are in the final stage. In the last one year, faculty and students together wrote more than 50 research papers in various journals and conferences of national and international repute. Out of that 24 papers are from the students only under the guidance of faculty members. The department is equipped with state of the art labs with R & D facilities and uninterrupted power supply. A two days National level conference on “Recent Advances in Metamaterial Antennas for Biomedical, Optical and Sensing Applications” sponsored by DST was also held on 13-14th February 2015.
Dr. Pradyot Kala is a professor and HOD in ECE department at Galgotias College of Engineering and Technology, Greater Noida, UP. He received B.Tech. from MMMEC, Gorakhpur, M.Tech. from IIT-BHU, Varanasi, UP, India and received PhD from SHIAST, Allahabad, UP. He has 22 years of experience in teaching/research/industry. Out of which he has 16 years of experience in teaching undergraduate and post graduate students, and guided more than 50 undergraduate, 10 postgraduate, and 7 PhD thesis. He has produced more than 40 papers in International/Nation Journals and conferences. His research interests are in the areas of antennas, metamaterials, frequency selective surfaces etc.
The students are motivated to undertake real-time projects and actively participate in the technical seminars, conferences and workshops and present their work in them. The department has state of the art fully equipped lab focused towards nurturing the students in practical aspects besides theoretical back ground like Electronics Lab, PCB & Electronics Workshop Lab, Digital Electronics Lab, Microwave Lab, Communication Lab, Digital Logic Design Lab, Computer Aided Design (Cad) Lab.
10 + 2 Examination with Physics and Maths as compulsory subjects along with one subject Chemistry / Bio-Technology / Computer Science / Biology with minimum 50% and UPSEE / AIEEE qualified.
Course Duration and Fee
To become a centre of excellence for producing well trained, innovative human resources in electronics & Communication Engineering produce research that meets the current needs of the national and international community.
- To provide industry, academia, and society with highly-qualified graduate Electronics & Communication engineers who possess state-of-the-art knowledge in the field of ECE, as well as the research, critical-thinking, and leadership skills necessary to be globally competitive.
- To inspire students to pursue a high level of education and research experience, and to make a lifelong commitment to continuous learning and personal contribution in their chosen field. Also, to instill in students strong principles of professionalism, integrity, and ethics.
- To establish and foster a culture of curiosity, excitement, collaboration, and engagement in the global research community, with a commitment to quality and academic integrity, thereby gaining national and international recognition for ECE program.
- To train students in the techniques, methods, and disciplines of collaborative research, including problem identification, design of experiments, hands-on experimentation, data collection and analysis, simulation, both independent work and teamwork, authoring journal and conference papers.
- To improve the written and oral communication skills of students to the level required for effective international research dissemination and quality academic teaching.
Program Education Objectives
PEOs of the B. Tech. in Electronics and Communication Engineering are:
- PEO1. Excel in professional career and/or higher education by acquiring knowledge in area of Electronics and Communication Engineering.
- PEO2. Analyze real life problems, design appropriate system to provide solutions that are technically sound, economically feasible and socially acceptable.
- PEO3. Exhibit professionalism, ethical attitude, communication skills, team work in their profession and adapt to current trends by engaging in lifelong learning.
Program Specific Outcomes
By the completion of Electronics & Communication Engineering program the student will have following Program specific outcomes.
- PSO1: Professional Skills: An ability to understand the basic concepts in Electronics & Communication Engineering and to apply them to various areas, like Electronics, Communications, Signal Processing, VLSI, Embedded systems etc., in the design and implementation of complex systems.
- PSO2: Problem-Solving Skills: An ability to solve complex Electronics and communication Engineering problems, using latest hardware and software tools, along with analytical skills to arrive cost effective and appropriate solutions.
- PSO3: Successful Career and Entrepreneurship: An understanding of social-awareness & environmental-wisdom along with ethical responsibility to have a successful career and to sustain passion and zeal for real-world applications using optimal resources as an Entrepreneur.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex electronics & communication engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex electronics & communication engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex electronics & communication engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specific needs with appropriate considerations for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent relevant to the professional engineering practices.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norm of the engineering practices.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communications: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life learning in the broadest context of technological change.